Author Topic: Verdict Reactions  (Read 25925 times)

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Verdict Reactions
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2013, 07:49:17 AM »
I thought her testimony was manufactured.  How someone could remember (3 weeks later) a 10 minute conversation in such detail but could not recall anything prior to those 10 minutes does not sound believable.

Tex was being sarcastic.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2013, 08:32:05 AM »
I thought her testimony was manufactured.  How someone could remember (3 weeks later) a 10 minute conversation in such detail but could not recall anything prior to those 10 minutes does not sound believable.
Are you really sure she couldn't remember anything of the 10 minutes prior to the last 10?  Was she asked?  I remember posting here, during Rachel's cross examination, all the probative questions West should be asking but didn't.  Undoubtedly, more was learned in her 9 hour deposition than came out in court.  However, I agree that circumstances concerning this witness make me consider her as one not to be taken seriously.  I regard Zimmerman almost as skeptically.  There is other evidence which I think the jury weighted much higher than either - John Good, the debris field, the injuries, the screams.

Offline txantimedia

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2013, 09:17:22 AM »
Tex was being sarcastic.
Nope.  I was serious.  Her account matches known parts of the NEN call as well as the timing of events.  There are portions that I discount (her claims regarding the beginning of the encounter), but overall I found her believable.  For example, when she said that Trayvon told her that he was "right by his father's house", I believe she's relating, in her own words, what he told her.  When she said that Trayvon said a creep a$$ cracka was following him, I believe that.

BTW, I read recently that cracka refers to the person who cracked the whip on slaves (a person in a position of authority) and has been used for years in the black community to refer to the police and other people of authority.  I don't think it's a racist term at all.

So, overall, I found her account believable but, just like George, she shaded the truth in places to support her version of what happened.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
BTW, I read recently that cracka refers to the person who cracked the whip on slaves

Discussion starting here.

Offline txantimedia

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »
Discussion starting here.
Thanks.  That's exactly where I read it.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
Huffpo, 7/16/13 on the Monday (7/15) protests in LA.

There's good video, over three minutes, which includes the Walmart attack from outside the front doors. It looks like a security guard opened the doors, allowing the mob to enter, rather than have the doors broken. Then a solid stream of reinforcements kept coming in from the street, until I wondered how tightly they were packing themselves. Scary.

Thirteen arrests were made Monday night, including six juveniles, for a variety of alleged crimes, including failure to disperse and assault, said LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman.

.  .  .

Amidst the chaos, a KCAL9 cameraman was struck from behind Monday night and was taken to the hospital for treatment of a possible concussion, Neiman said. After he was hit and swung around, his camera struck his reporter, who was treated at the scene for an injury. No other injuries were reported Monday night.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »
That's exactly where I read it.

Begging pardon, you didn't. No one there said the etymology was a fact, and no one said 'cracker' or 'cracka'
has been used for years in the black community to refer to the police and other people of authority.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2013, 10:48:35 AM »
I'm not really sure what's going on with Tex, but something sure seems to be.

Offline txantimedia

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
I'm not really sure what's going on with Tex, but something sure seems to be.
I'm not sure why it's a big deal that I said that's where I got it, but, OK, that's not where I got it, and I have no idea where I did.

Is that satisfactory?

Sheesh.  What other nits can we pick today?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »
I'm not sure why it's a big deal that I said that's where I got it, but, OK, that's not where I got it, and I have no idea where I did.

Is that satisfactory?

Sheesh.  What other nits can we pick today?

I was thinking of your posts since you arrived back (nice to see you back, btw. I know I didn't jump up and give you a sloppy kiss hello like DFH...but you're probably just as happy with that  ;)).

And it was a personal opinion more than anything. I should've ID'd it as such. Lazy.

I don't see how you could view RJ's testimony--or anything she said--as truthful. Etc.

But that's your deal and not my deal, so I should just shut up about it.

8)

Offline txantimedia

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
I was thinking of your posts since you arrived back (nice to see you back, btw. I know I didn't jump up and give you a sloppy kiss hello like DFH...but you're probably just as happy with that  ;)).

And it was a personal opinion more than anything. I should've ID'd it as such. Lazy.

I don't see how you could view RJ's testimony--or anything she said--as truthful. Etc.

But that's your deal and not my deal, so I should just shut up about it.

8)
I thought I explained it pretty well.  I don't think even pathological liars always lie.  Some parts of what they say are true.  I don't think Rachel is a pathological liar, but she's obviously a liar.  That doesn't make everything she said a lie.  When I weigh what she said against the other evidence, there are parts of what she said that I believe are "true".  For example, she describes the beginning of the altercation much the same as Zimmerman did - do you have a problem? -> why are you following me? followed by a response and then a thud - the sound of someone being hit.  The get off part I think is pure fantasy.  She made that up to mollify Crump.

I can't wait until the ABC version of Crump's interview with Rachel becomes publicly available.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2013/07/trayvon_martin_verdict_racism_hate_crimes_prosecution_and_other_overreactions.html

Trayvon Martin is dead, George Zimmerman has been acquitted, and millions of people are outraged. Some politicians are demanding a second prosecution of Zimmerman, this time for hate crimes. Others are blaming the tragedy on ďStand Your GroundĒ laws, which they insist must be repealed. Many who saw the case as proof of racism in the criminal justice system see the verdict as further confirmation. Everywhere you look, people feel vindicated in their bitter assumptions. They want action.

But thatís how Martin ended up dead. Itís how Zimmerman ended up with a bulletproof vest he might have to wear for the rest of his life. Itís how activists and the media embarrassed themselves with bogus reports. The problem at the core of this case wasnít race or guns. The problem was assumption, misperception, and overreaction. And that cycle hasnít ended with the verdict. It has escalated.

Offline ding7777

• Rate Post +19/-59
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »
Are you really sure she couldn't remember anything of the 10 minutes prior to the last 10?  Was she asked? 

I remember West asking her about what they said to each other when TM left the 7-11 and she didn't know.

O'mara, in one of his post-verdict news conferences, also made a point of RJ's detailed recollection of only the last 10 minutes or so but remembering nothing prior to it.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2013, 12:52:29 PM »
I thought she said that right after leaving the 711, Trayvon took shelter at a mail thingy.  I hope somebody ambitious wil give us an exact position on one of the videos of her testimony.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
People, there's almost a whole page of discussion of Jeantel, with only two posts on the thread topic.

With apologies for being the self-appointed wannabe mod, would you please take this to Jeantel's thread?

Site Meter
click
tracking