Author Topic: Verdict Reactions  (Read 25928 times)

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Verdict Reactions
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2013, 01:20:22 PM »
People, there's almost a whole page of discussion of Jeantel, with only two posts on the thread topic.

With apologies for being the self-appointed wannabe mod, would you please take this to Jeantel's thread?

You think you'll have better luck than I did the other day?

Meh. Probably.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »
I haven't found anything today about verdict-related violence last night (Tuesday, 7/16/13). Maybe things are calming down.

Offline txantimedia

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
I haven't found anything today about verdict-related violence last night (Tuesday, 7/16/13). Maybe things are calming down.
A Houston family was taking a girl who was suffering from an allergic reaction to medication to the hospital when they were attacked by protestors.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2013, 04:39:03 AM »

A Houston family was taking a girl who was suffering from an allergic reaction to medication to the hospital when they were attacked by protestors.

Thanks for the report. That is one I missed, but it was on Monday, 7/15.

Just after 7p.m. Monday, the demonstrators spilled out onto the road and blocked traffic for about 15 minutes.

. . .

"My mom rolled down the window," said Georgia's daughter. "She said, 'We're trying to get my granddaughter to the hospital,' and a guy just started hitting her."

A Local 2 camera covering the protest recorded the entire incident. On the video you could see Georgia sitting in the front seat of an SUV, she had her window down and you can see a man reach in and grab her. Georgia said she was hit.

"When we got on the road I told her, 'Let's call 911," and I could feel I had been hit," she said.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »
One more day, I haven't found any reports on verdict-related violence from yesterday (Wednesday, 7/17). Calm appears to be holding.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2013, 04:33:40 AM »
Houston Chronicle, 7/17/13.
Houston community activist Quanell X plans to lead a march this weekend in the River Oaks community to protest a Florida jury's acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

The marchers won't be alone, though.

A newly organized group, G. Zimmerman River Oaks Stand Your Ground, plans to hold a counter demonstration Sunday in the tranquil, tree-lined community dotted with stately mansions, boutiques, restaurants and art galleries.

. . .

Dozens of protesters marched on the U.S. Federal Courthouse and Houston City Hall on Tuesday [7/16] to voice opposition to the verdict that cleared Zimmerman of wrongdoing in the Feb. 26, 2012, fatal confrontation with the unarmed teen in Florida.

Meanwhile, Houston resident Jon Smith launched G. Zimmerman River Oaks Stand Your Ground, and urged supporters on a Facebook page to rally in River Oaks on Sunday [7/21].

. . .

The group's page prominently features a Confederate flag.

Houston Police Department spokesman John Cannon said that officers would be on hand at the demonstration.

. . .

Gary Mangold, general manager of River Oaks Property Owners Inc., said his office would "default to HPD" for security at the march, and there are no plans to boost private security patrols.

. . .

Quanell X had a message for the counter protesters:

"I look forward to meeting those that support Zimmerman. They have rights and I encourage them to do so. We will support Trayvon Martin without fear and without compromise, and I guarantee them we will be supporting Trayvon on Sunday.

"This is our civil rights moment," he said.

The protest is expected to kick off about 4 p.m.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2013, 05:21:25 AM »
Putting her money where her mouth is, Diana tennis is running for a judgeship.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2013, 07:26:51 AM »
As far as know, the following conflicts with all other accounts I have read.
The civil-rights group's national chairman, Roslyn Brock, said that, were it not for the NAACP, Trayvon's death might have been swept under the rug.

"The story that has not gotten out is that our branch president was the first person that [Trayvon's father] Tracy Martin went to Turner Clayton, the president of the [Seminole] branch of the NAACP when his son did not come home," Brock said.

"It was our branch president that called the Police Department looking to file a police report for a missing person. It was our branch president who stood with Tracy Martin to say: 'There's an unidentified young black man in the morgue, and I want to see who he is,' " Brock said.
See here.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
Los Angeles Times, 7/18/13
Demonstrators held a peaceful rally in Beverly Hills against the George Zimmerman trial verdict, but 17 people were arrested during a rally that turned rowdy in Victorville, authorities said Wednesday night. [7/17]

. . .

In Victorville, eight of the 17 people arrested Wednesday night were juveniles, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department said. Most of the arrests were made on charges of unlawful assembly.

A department spokeswoman said most of the 80 people who took part in the rally were peaceful.

But 10 to 15 juveniles went into a store at a Chevron gas station near Bear Valley Road and Balsam Avenue and reportedly opened items and left without paying, authorities said.

A large group of people gathered at the Mall of Victor Valley parking lot and tried to force their way into the mall. They were stopped by security guards who locked the doors.

Deputies from multiple stations responded and ordered the group to disperse, the department said in a statement. Most of the people left, but those who didn't were arrested.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2013, 09:04:56 AM »
As far as know, the following conflicts with all other accounts I have read.

[Snip]

"It was our branch president who stood with Tracy Martin to say: 'There's an unidentified young black man in the morgue, and I want to see who he is,' " Brock said.

See here.

I'm wondering what that is supposed to mean. Literally, it seems to mean that this person accompanied Tracy to the morgue, and was standing beside him when he asked to see the body. Nice of him, but Tracy could have gotten it done by himself.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »
See here.

I'm wondering what that is supposed to mean. Literally, it seems to mean that this person accompanied Tracy to the morgue, and was standing beside him when he asked to see the body. Nice of him, but Tracy could have gotten it done by himself.

My question is more like why, when your son doesn't come home in the morning, is your first call to the juvenile authorities and your second call to the local naacp?

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
At best, Turner Clayton was there with Tracy and Brandy the morning of 2/27/12 when Serino arrived with photos of Trayvon, in response to Tracy's report of a missing person-- and somehow, everybody forgot to take note of his presence in their statements.

More likely, though, Brock's yet another person making up new details after the fact.

--------

And one important thing to add in response to the point of the article linked (NAACP rally to demand end to SYG law):

GZ didn't claim SYG, he claimed standard self-defense; he claimed he had no ability to retreat because TM was on top of him, and an eyewitness independently confirmed TM on top and GZ unsuccessfully attempting to get free.

Furthermore, the Tampa Bay Times has posted a database and analysis of FL cases in which SYG has been claimed, and the cases show that SYG has been invoked and used successfully as a defense by white and black defendants at about an equal rate.

There are also-- despite what the NAACP, Team Crump, and various commenters allege-- SYG cases "in which the races were reversed", with the black defendants being acquitted or not even charged.

For example, these cases from 2009 in which 17-year-old Hispanic males were fatally shot by black males; in the first case the defendant was granted immunity at trial; in the second, charges were not brought:

http://www.tampabay.com/stand-your-ground-law/cases/case_26

http://www.tampabay.com/stand-your-ground-law/cases/case_75

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
See here.

I thought the story attested in statements and recounted in articles was that Tracy positively IDed TM from photos in Brandy Green's townhouse, no doubt about it.

Why would there still be "an unidentified young black man in the morgue" at that point for Tracy to "want to see who he is"? He just saw the photos of that person.

There are other reasons Tracy would have wanted to see the body for himself, but seeing "who he is" wouldn't be one if his other accounts have been truthful.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »
Please do not use these forums to attack the character of the Martins. Your comments will be deleted.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
CNN, 7/17/13

"I decided today that until the 'stand your ground' law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again," Wonder told the audience at a concert in Quebec on Sunday night. [7/14] "As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world."

Video

Site Meter
click
tracking