Author Topic: Don West - I'd like to keep my Bar license for a couple more years  (Read 3814 times)

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Post verdict Press conference @ 6:42
Don West is asked a two part question from a CNN reporter.  The first part, "As far as relationship with the judge, back and forth, talk to us if you could about that ... if you were getting fair treatment."

West and O'Mara exchanged glances just after the first part of the two part question.  West paused.  Then replied, "I'd like to keep my bar license for a couple more years. -pause-  And the second part of your question?"  Chuckles from the press gallery.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Don West - I'd like to keep my Bar license for a couple more years
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 06:20:03 AM »
That was good.

I also liked the part (I think it was earlier but it's all running together now) where they asked him a question and O'Mara sort of whispered 'take it easy' or 'soft and easy'.

Don West has had a long and successful career. He's done a lot. He's given of himself to help death penalty cases. People say they've never seen him like this, I wonder what about GZ got under his skin.

Or maybe it just got personal when Mantei decided to go after his kids?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 06:29:41 AM »
Don West has had a long and successful career. He's done a lot. He's given of himself to help death penalty cases. People say they've never seen him like this, I wonder what about GZ got under his skin.

Or maybe it just got personal when Mantei decided to go after his kids?

I think what got under his skin was the judge.  He knows that trials are an adversarial process, and he likely expects some strong but justified opposition.  Here he is faced with a case where the prosecution has to misstate the evidence, on just about everything, and where the judge is flouting the law.  It has to be frustrating, if he is accustomed to a courtroom that operates normally, with a case where the evidence actually produces probable cause.

When he was asked the question, he sort of looked to the side and rolled his eyes.  You could tell the wheels were turning.  He was tempted to say what he thought.  Good for him to answer the way he did.

I wonder if O'Mara and/or West will appeal the inevitable denial of sanctions for discovery violations.

I noticed too, O'Mara and West have no intention of giving Nelson a shot at an immunity hearing.  If Zimmerman is sued over the shooting, the issue of immunity will be raised in civil court.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:15:07 AM »
I think what got under his skin was the judge.  He knows that trials are an adversarial process, and he likely expects some strong but justified opposition.  Here he is faced with a case where the prosecution has to misstate the evidence, on just about everything, and where the judge is flouting the law.  It has to be frustrating, if he is accustomed to a courtroom that operates normally, with a case where the evidence actually produces probable cause.

When he was asked the question, he sort of looked to the side and rolled his eyes.  You could tell the wheels were turning.  He was tempted to say what he thought.  Good for him to answer the way he did.

I wonder if O'Mara and/or West will appeal the inevitable denial of sanctions for discovery violations.

I noticed too, O'Mara and West have no intention of giving Nelson a shot at an immunity hearing.  If Zimmerman is sued over the shooting, the issue of immunity will be raised in civil court.

Except that Nelson has moved into the civil area for 6 mo(?) because of the rotation.  There is a strong possible that they will meet again in regards to this case.  I think she has been assigned the NBC case brought by the Beasley Firm.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »
Except that Nelson has moved into the civil area for 6 mo(?) because of the rotation.  There is a strong possible that they will meet again in regards to this case.  I think she has been assigned the NBC case brought by the Beasley Firm.

I heard (well, saw) that in passing yesterday or day before.

Would she have to recuse herself due to prior involvement?

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
Would she have to recuse herself due to prior involvement?

As I recall, that question came up long ago, when the case was assigned to her, and the answer was 'no'.

I'm wondering if some of the events of the trial might have changed that.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »
If JN is pro-prosecution in criminal trials, would that suggest that she is pro plaintiff in civil trails?  Or since both sides can appeal, maybe she will be neutral.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »
I wonder how judges can shift from one type of case to another--so many of the rules are different, it would seem to me there'd be an extra chance of error.

She may just want to get away from it.

Then again--she may just welcome it. She seems like that type.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 12:49:26 AM »
If JN is pro-prosecution in criminal trials, would that suggest that she is pro plaintiff in civil trails?  Or since both sides can appeal, maybe she will be neutral.

Something tells me that in civil cases it's not so much whether one is the plaintiff or defendant as it is she takes the opposite side from whoever the "little guy" is.

Although I wonder if that's the mannequin's name, "Little Guy", sort of like Mini-Me.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 03:23:22 AM »
Although I wonder if that's the mannequin's name, "Little Guy", sort of like Mini-Me.

I like 'Graymalkin'. It's familiar.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 03:51:29 AM »
I like 'Graymalkin'. It's familiar.

I (finally) saw what you did there.  :)

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 04:20:13 AM »
I (finally) saw what you did there.  :)

Good for you.

It's an obscure jest.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 05:19:36 AM »
Good show.

Of course, the new-ish gay x man of the same name works too... 8)

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:22:35 AM »
I want just him to be purple...

I hump you,  You hump me
We're a happy family
With a great big hump and a kiss from me to you.
Won't you say you'll hump me too

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 09:19:10 AM »
I know you meant Barney...but I had a flashback to that French Revolution scene in Mel Brooks' History of the World Part I...

Sigh...McDreamy...
 ;)

I want just him to be purple...

I hump you,  You hump me
We're a happy family
With a great big hump and a kiss from me to you.
Won't you say you'll hump me too

Site Meter
click
tracking