Author Topic: The Jurors Speak  (Read 10975 times)

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: The Jurors Speak
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 07:52:08 AM »
Is this the entire interview?  Much, much shorter than the B37 one and almost worthless, IMHO. 

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 02:49:09 PM »
MADDY: I was the juror that was going to give him the hung jury. Oh, I was. I fought to the end.

It seems she is admitting she had an agenda going in and apparently had far more awareness of the case and exposure to the biased media than she admitted to during screening.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »
O'Mara Law Blog touts B-29 as "model juror"

We donít expect jurors to be heartless people. Every murder case starts with someone who has had their life taken, someone who leaves behind grieving loved-ones. Every loss of life is a tragedy, and we donít ask jurors to be immune to that. But we do ask jurors not to reach their verdicts based on what their hearts tell them; for the verdict, a juror must set aside emotions and follow the law. Based on her comments, Juror B-29 accepted a tremendous burden, set her feelings aside, and cast a verdict based the evidence presented in court and on the law she was provided.

Any juror that follows Juror B-29ís process will deliver a fair and just verdict.

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
"That's the way the law was read to me."  If she cannot read for herself she should have admitted so during selection, or maybe she was too focused on being the stealth juror who delivered the guilty verdict or at least a hung jury as she admitted.
Didn't Nelson read the jury instructions in the courtroom to the entire jury before sending them to deliberate?

Since she works in an Alzhimer's facility, I would hope she can read for the sake of the patients under her care.

Or maybe the instructions were in cursive.  ::)

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »
MADDY: I was the juror that was going to give him the hung jury. Oh, I was. I fought to the end.

It seems she is admitting she had an agenda going in and apparently had far more awareness of the case and exposure to the biased media than she admitted to during screening.

I'm rather disturbed by this juror's comments, but I don't know that they necessarily establish she was exposed to the media bias or had an agenda going in.

She could have developed that attitude quoted above as a result of the evidence presented in court. Even though most of us thought the defense undid the state's evidence on cross-examination, she might've bought it.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »
Or maybe the instructions were in cursive.  ::)

;D   ;D

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »
Redbrow is making things up, as usual.
What did I make up now or ever. Proof now, liar.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »
And what an amazing coincidence that this juror chose the prosecutor for Zimmerman's assault case as her lawyer. Why does an ex juror need a lawyer anyway?  Something is afoot. Go ahead and criticize me again now.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 05:47:33 PM »
Is this the entire interview?

Other parts were shown on Nightline last night. Also, Robin Roberts quoted B-29 indirectly on some points, presumably reflecting unaired parts of the interview.

I watched the interview on GMA this morning, and I think what I saw is the same as what you linked. After that, and commentary by 'legal analysts', they moved on to another story. They didn't say there was more of the interview to come. I didn't watch the rest of the episode.

The 'legal analysts' didn't have a word to say about B-29's apparent misunderstanding of the law.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
Other parts were shown on Nightline last night.

Sorry, wrong link. This is the Nightline segment.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
Sorry, wrong link. This is the Nightline segment.
I was amazed when she said she didn't try to decide who was screaming because voices change so much when you scream.  So she didn't take much stock in the scream identifying witnesses.  Maybe her hospital work helped her come to that conclusion.  The trouble is, it was about the only thing she said that made sense.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »
I was amazed when she said she didn't try to decide who was screaming because voices change so much when you scream.  So she didn't take much stock in the scream identifying witnesses.  Maybe her hospital work helped her come to that conclusion.  The trouble is, it was about the only thing she said that made sense.

Though it may have made sense not to conclude who was screaming based on the sound or witnesses' testimony based on the sound, the other evidence should have been considered. John Good testified he believed it was GZ screaming; GZ said he was screaming minutes after he shot TM; and normally in a fight/attack, the injured person being held down on his back is more likely to scream than the uninjured person holding him down.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »
William Saletan, 7/26/13
But the video thatís available already shows, on closer inspection, that Maddy has been manipulated and misrepresented. . . . In the unedited video, Robertsí question is longer, with words that have been trimmed from the Nightline version, and Maddy pauses twice, for several seconds, as she struggles to answer it. ďÖ George Zimmerman Ö ThatísóGeorge Zimmerman got away with murder. But you canít get away from God.Ē

I think this is silly.

Deletion of pauses, hesitations, and repetitions is routine, and obviously useful for saving air time. In this case, I don't think it changes B-29's meaning at all.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »
The reaction shot edits are ridiculous in that interview. It's like the reaction roll consisted solely of various hand shifts.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2013, 11:20:19 PM »
ABC News report on GZ's 2005 arrest for Battery LEO, with brief appearances by David Chico (0:41, 1:26). Chico was the prosecutor for that case, now represents B-29.

The ABC report notes that the charge was reduced to a misdemeanor, but doesn't mention that it was ultimately dropped. I think it leaves the impression that GZ's participation in an anger management class was a sentence for a misdemeanor conviction.

Site Meter
click
tracking