Author Topic: Forthcoming Civil Trials  (Read 5651 times)

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Forthcoming Civil Trials
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:34:32 PM »
1. If Zimmerman is going to sue NBC, ABC, etc. is the suit best filed in New York or somewhere in Florida?
2. Can Crump chose the Florida county where he can file a civil suit or must it be in Seminole?
3. Will Zimmerman have to testify in any civil suit regardless of whether he is a plaintiff or defendant?
4. Can Crump base his civil suit on Zimmermanís negligence in getting out of the car and not identifying himself to Martin?

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Forthcoming Civil Trials
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »
Would like to see these:

5. Zimmerman et al. v State of Florida
6. Zimmerman et al. v Estate of Trayvon Martin
7. RTLHOA v Estate of Trayvon Martin

Offline jjr495

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 11:26:06 PM »
2. Can Crump chose the Florida county where he can file a civil suit or must it be in Seminole?
Crump has already settled with the only deep pocket. I think he sees the writing on the wall as the jurors begin to talk. My guess is that he will convince Martin and Fulton to find it in their heart to forgive GZ,  and to seek justice by pushing for repeal of SYG and gun laws.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:37:22 AM »
1. If Zimmerman is going to sue NBC, ABC, etc. is the suit best filed in New York or somewhere in Florida?
3. Will Zimmerman have to testify in any civil suit regardless of whether he is a plaintiff or defendant?
4. Can Crump base his civil suit on Zimmermanís negligence in getting out of the car and not identifying himself to Martin?

He is suing NBC and it's in Florida because JDN is in the rotation to be the judge.

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 07:09:51 AM »
Ryan Julison has removed any mention of TM from his Facebook and his company website.
Does he forsee being involved in a civil action?

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »
He is suing NBC and it's in Florida because JDN is in the rotation to be the judge.
Would that be a good thing, though? It seems like it'd be just more of the same from JDN-- refusing to allow the libelous edited material to be admitted, because it can't be authenticated and the relevance to a defamation suit is too vague.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I thought you could take legal action against media in any venue where the libelous material was disseminated.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
We do have an entire topic Zimmerman vs. NBC over in the pretrial section.  The first article explains that the suit was filed on Dec. 6, 2012 in Seminole County Circuit Court.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
Would that be a good thing, though? It seems like it'd be just more of the same from JDN-- refusing to allow the libelous edited material to be admitted, because it can't be authenticated and the relevance to a defamation suit is too vague.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I thought you could take legal action against media in any venue where the libelous material was disseminated.

Standards and burdens are much different in civil court, so I'm told.

And she may just recuse herself. Who knows.

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
Question about Florida juries in civil trials.  If Zimmerman is sued in a civil case by the Martins, does the jury have to reach a unanimous decision or does majority rule?  I suppose I should know if all cases require a unanimous decison, but I don't....  Also, is it still a 6 person jury?

And.... has anyone heard if O'Mara is still planning to seek immunity for Zimmerman, or will this depend on whether the Martin's file a civil suit?

Thanks!

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 07:23:26 AM »
How long do the Martins have to file a civil claim of wrongful death against GZ?  A basic read of the FL statute says 2 years from the time of the event and its been known since Feb 26, 2012 that GZ killed TM, so does that mean the Martins have about 6 months to file?  I believe Sybrina filed and received some money from the state for the death of TM and obviously there is the HOA lawsuit that was settled.  I can understand not filing a claim against GZ until the criminal trial is over, but is it odd that they haven't done so now that the trial is over?

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »
How long do the Martins have to file a civil claim of wrongful death against GZ?  A basic read of the FL statute says 2 years from the time of the event and its been known since Feb 26, 2012 that GZ killed TM, so does that mean the Martins have about 6 months to file?  I believe Sybrina filed and received some money from the state for the death of TM and obviously there is the HOA lawsuit that was settled.  I can understand not filing a claim against GZ until the criminal trial is over, but is it odd that they haven't done so now that the trial is over?

I think you are right about 2/26/2014 being the end date for a civil suit.

I know she filed but I don't know that the claim was paid out to her.  I remember reading that she hadn't gotten the money (somewhere in the $1400 range.)  That part was kind of fuzzy.

Site Meter
click
tracking