Author Topic: Post-Verdict Media Coverage  (Read 11696 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Post-Verdict Media Coverage
« on: July 24, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »
This thread is to discuss continued media coverage of the George Zimmerman case. It is not for posting media coverage of the Martin family, Trayvon Martin, or their lawyers, or the topic of race, unless the coverage relates directly to Zimmerman.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Post-Verdict Media Coverage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »
This thread is to discuss continued media coverage of the George Zimmerman case. It is not for posting media coverage of the Martin family, Trayvon Martin, or their lawyers, or the topic of race, unless the coverage relates directly to Zimmerman.

Shouldn't that read "...unless the coverage relates directly to the Zimmerman case."?

Coverage of the SUV wreck relates directly to Zimmerman, but has nothing to do with the case.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:59:48 PM »
I thought by saying Zimmerman at the end it would include things like the SUV rescue.

What I don't want to cover is the Martin family post-verdict  -- unless they make a specific false claim about GZ now. Eg, I'm not interested in their lobbying, their continued TV appearances or efforts to cast their son's death as a product of racial bias or stand your ground laws.

Offline SuzieTampa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
I think this column by Shelby Steele is terrific. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324448104578618681599902640.html

The verdict that declared George Zimmerman not guilty of murdering Trayvon Martin was a traumatic event for America's civil-rights establishment

I think this claim could use some examination. I would expect the verdict to be a bonanza for the 'civil-rights establishment', for fund-raising, recruitment, and media attention. The proverbial briar patch.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »
Shelby Steele:
The Revs. Jackson and Sharpton have been consigned to a hard fate: They can never be more than redundancies, echoes of the great men they emulate because America has changed. Hard to be a King or Mandela today when your monstrous enemy is no more than the cherubic George Zimmerman.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 05:19:44 PM »
Shelby Steele:
Trayvon threw the first punch

Steele did not explain how he reached this conclusion. To the best of my knowledge it is unproven.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »
Shelby Steele:
The six-person Florida jury, looking carefully at the evidence, decided that Mr. Zimmerman pulled the trigger in self-defense and not in a fury of racial hatred.

The jury decided that the state did not prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that the shooting of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman, was not an act of self defense justified under the laws of the state of Florida. It did not decide less than that. It did not decide more than that.

In my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:30:05 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »
Shelby Steele:
If there is anything good to be drawn from the Zimmerman/Martin tragedy, it is only the further revelation of the corruption and irrelevance of today's civil-rights leadership.

Harsh.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 07:04:59 AM »

Offline SuzieTampa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 07:59:31 AM »
NMNM, I think you're right on all of your points. So, I'll amend my original comment to say: "Despite errors in fact, I think Steele makes a good point about what Jackson, Sharpton and others have done to mislead and profit from the civil-rights movement."

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 11:02:24 AM »
NMNM, I think you're right on all of your points. So, I'll amend my original comment

I didn't mean to take issue with you on the column overall. I was just reacting to specific points as I read. It is a good column, interesting and thoughtful. Thanks for posting it.

Offline jeanmarc8

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »
IANAL

Perhaps the civil rights groups flourished in a time of more dichotomous adjectives: black-white, rich-poor, Northern-Southern. The civil rights leadership seems to have become a group trying to bask in the limelight of activities 50 years ago, like alumni reliving old football games. The “dream-defenders” seem to have focused on ending “stand your ground” and the “school to prison pipeline”.    Not much clarity there to move the masses.

The first media reports must have seemed intoxicating to those civil rights leaders: Young looking black boy (in a cute red shirt) with Skittles who was shot screaming for help while walking to his father’s home in a gated community by a white male with German/Jewish name. Then the reality was revealed.  The video of TM in the 7-11 was much less cute. His high school situation was problematic. His family was solidly middle class, but far too “complex”. He seemed to have drifted back into the “hood” lifestyle despite that upbringing.  The gated community was mostly a realtor’s advertizing point, and he was never more than a brief visitor to something that was never more that his father’s occasional sleeping place. The alleged perpetrator has a mother born in a third world, Spanish speaking country, leading to the invention of “white Hispanic”. He grew up moving around in a military family and was certainly not “rich”.  The “white” man had more apparent injuries than the “black” man, suggesting he was the one attacked and reasonably could have shot in self-defense.  Then we have inputs from an American African president on African American issues. It just got messier and messier.

Equal opportunity must include equal effort and equal accountability to produce equal outcomes. The race of a young lad with a desire for an aviation career could not overcome the fact that he was flunking out of high school and had a taste for marijuana that would likely cause him to pop positive on required DOT drug testing.  Not even the DOJ CRS can push that far.

Again, IANAL.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303302504577323691134926300.html

Try this one instead, NM. Also by Steele.

Good stuff.

The Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, ubiquitous icons of black protest, virtually battled each other to stand at the bereaved family's side . . . In fact Trayvon's sad fate clearly sent a quiver of perverse happiness all across America's civil rights establishment, and throughout the mainstream media as well. His death was vindication of the "poetic truth" that these establishments live by.

. . .

Before the 1960s the black American identity (though no one ever used the word) was based on our common humanity, on the idea that race was always an artificial and exploitive division between people. After the '60s—in a society guilty for its long abuse of us—we took our historical victimization as the central theme of our group identity. We could not have made a worse mistake.

It has given us a generation of ambulance-chasing leaders, and the illusion that our greatest power lies in the manipulation of white guilt. The tragedy surrounding Trayvon's death is not in the possibility that it might have something to do with white racism; the tragedy is in the lustfulness with which so many black leaders, in conjunction with the media, have leapt to exploit his demise for their own power.

Ironically, Steele began by affirming some of those very 'poetic truths' he went on to deplore.

A teenager—unarmed and committing no crime—was shot dead.

If we ignore the evidence that the teenager might have been in the middle of committing aggravated assault and battery at the moment he was shot.

Dressed in a "hoodie," a costume of menace, he crossed paths with a man on the hunt for precisely such cliches of menace.

The menacing hoodie is another of the fables introduced by the lawyers and Matt Gutman.

Gutman's 3/13/12 report does not name the alleged police source, nor give any date for the meeting at which the information was allegedly announced. No one but Gutman seems to have heard it, as far as my research goes.

Later the meme got a boost from Geraldo Rivera (video, 1:46). Geraldo cited no evidence except his own willingness to bet an undisclosed sum of money.

See also Bob Somerby (The Daily Howler, 8/2/13).

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 07:22:38 AM »
Ironically, Steele began by affirming some of those very 'poetic truths' he went on to deplore.

I take issue with the first part of Steele's piece (the narrative) as well, but keep in mind that it was written and posted back on April 6, 2012.

GZ hadn't even been arrested yet, and details were still a little sketchy as to what happened. I'm not sure how much of what we have now was available to Steele at that point.

But for him to start with the version of the narrative that he did and still call out Jackson, Sharpton and the others-- and Obama-- on the issue the way he did, at that early point, is pretty major, IMO.

Site Meter
click
tracking