Author Topic: Let's Fact-Check Wikipedia  (Read 4419 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Let's Fact-Check Wikipedia
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 09:06:43 PM »
After I left a suggestion about the FCAT, the Wikipedia editors decided to remove the reference to TM's teacher Michelle Kypriss, thus avoiding the mention of the FCAT.

Congratulations. Job well done.

Wasn't Kypriss his teacher at his previous school?

Krop, according to the same 3/7/12 Orlando Sentinel report cited by the now deleted passage in the Wikipedia article..

"He was extremely creative," said Michelle Kypriss, Trayvon's English teacher at Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School in Miami. "He just loved building things. He really was intrigued by how things worked."

She described Trayvon, a junior, as an A and B student who majored in cheerfulness.

. . .

Trayvon was under a five-day suspension when he was shot that Sunday night, but Kypriss said it was due to tardiness and not misbehavior.

"Trayvon was not a violent or dangerous child. He was not known for misbehaving," the teacher said. "He was suspended because he was late too many times."

Offline jeanmarc8

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
IANAL

While the goal of “correcting” the Wikipedia article on the topic has great intellectual merit, I doubt that it is realistic.  The Wikipedia editors get the final vote and they seem to be hesititant to clarify some of the more controversial aspects of the case.  I might consider two Wikipedia articles on the topic.  One would present the views of Fulton/Martin/Crump. The other would present the views of others which may disagree with the F/M/C views.  I don’t know that Wikipedia editors would accept such ambiguity on the topic.   

The really interesting part of the TM-GZ case is the dramatic differences in the “accepted truth” in each side. The facts from one side of the case are often ignored or trivialized by the proponents of the other side, and vice versa. This leads to two very polarized camps, as had been apparent, and probably the most remarkable factor in the case.  People looking at the case in the future will hopefully still be able to recognize that controversy in baseline information. There will likely be some longer web-based information on the TM-GZ case, hopefully with all the complexities presented.

On a related matter, the entire TalkLeft digital file on the case would be an interesting source for some college level course, perhaps even a law school class. It would be kind of an electronic textbook on the topic, as least from the viewpoint of the contributors. It would seem possible to have entries displayed week by week or month by month as the case progressed, so there could be assignments by some professor over a semester. Students could even choose sides in the case. I don’t know if all the web-links would continue to work, but there is a lot of information that would seem educational for students in a class room situation.  The “mis-information” would also be useful to present the uncertainties of the case.  Students will likely know the outcome of the case, but the actual progression from the investigation, to the court case, and the aftermath should be fascinating to the students, as it has been interesting to all the contributors.  The personalities of the many contributors have become apparent as well. Anyway, a thought.

Again, IANAL. 

Offline SuzieTampa

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
JeanMarc, Wikipedia editors will respond to fact-based changes. I've edited Wikipedia articles before.

Site Meter
click
tracking