Author Topic: Zimmerman Warned for Speeding in Texas  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Zimmerman Warned for Speeding in Texas
« on: July 31, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »

Dramatic dash-cam footage reveals the moment  that George Zimmerman was pulled over by a police officer in Texas for speeding  and told them he was carrying a gun.

Just over two weeks since his dramatic  acquittal for the murder of Trayvon Martin, 17, in Florida, Zimmerman was caught  speeding in Forney, Texas, on US Highway 80 just past FM 548 just after  noon.

Informing the police he was headed 'nowhere  in particular', Zimmerman, 29, told the officer that he was carrying a firearm  in his pick-up truck's glove compartment.

Texas has established concealed carry reciprocity for Florida permits.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Zimmerman Warned for Speeding in Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »
CBS, 7/31/13

Not doing a great job keeping a low profile.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »
CBS, 7/31/13

Not doing a great job keeping a low profile.

Meh. We're all guilty of a few miles over.

One of the new memes is that he was trying to cash in his celebrity to get out of the ticket. It's seems pretty clear he was trying to explain his reluctance to identify his destination to the officer - which brings up a whole other question.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 01:59:16 AM »
What the heck? That cop drove for quite a ways before we even saw George and George was already pulled over with his hazards on. Lol, he must have know it was coming, probably had his engine off, window down and hands on the wheel too, such a good boy  ;D. I don't think I've ever been pulled over in such a way, usually they are pretty close behind making themselves know they want you to pull over before you do, well before I do anyway  ;). I would have kept going until I knew for sure the cop was coming after me, either that or hurry to the off ramp and rush into a gas station to act like I'm buying something, lol. George is just too honest i swear, :P

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 02:28:03 AM »
That's how I usually get pulled over DW. See the trap, check my speed, see the lights, then pull over and wait for the inevitable. Maybe 5 times in my life has the patrol passed me by to get the one in front, but I get a good ratio of warning tickets. I think that's where pulling over and waiting helps.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 06:06:18 AM »
That's how I usually get pulled over DW. See the trap, check my speed, see the lights, then pull over and wait for the inevitable. Maybe 5 times in my life has the patrol passed me by to get the one in front, but I get a good ratio of warning tickets. I think that's where pulling over and waiting helps.

You explanation makes the video make sense.  Thanks.

Notice how lackadasical the other drivers were about getting out of the cop's way?

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 07:39:45 AM »
I haven't been pulled over in 30 odd years.........and I don't  have to keep a low profile.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:42:48 AM by IgnatiusJDonnelly »

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »

That's what I do also.  I see them about the same time they see me.  I just pull over even if they don't have their lights on yet.  I appreciate them for doing their jobs and it makes no sense to make them chase you for miles down the road.   I can't say it has ever gotten me out of a ticket though. 

Just sorry I got caught.    ;)    And to be fair, I was always doing what they said I was doing...even the bad parts that got me arrested!

A traffic stop is no big deal.  Getting a warning ticket is even less of a deal.  And I can almost promise you that Fornay stops a lot of vehicles with out of state plates.  Florida and Louisiana are prime targets.

Our local station made it to be some huge deal "George Zimmerman is in trouble with the law again!"  I sent them a tweet that included the definition of Integrity.  Didn't change anything though.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 08:32:40 AM »
A traffic stop is no big deal.  Getting a warning ticket is even less of a deal.  And I can almost promise you that Fornay stops a lot of vehicles with out of state plates.  Florida and Louisiana are prime targets.

I wondered when someone would mention that. Out of state plates are always fair game.

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
Huh, I must be a rebel and didn't even know it  :o ::) I never heard of anyone just pulling over like that so it made no sense to me but it appears typical for some.

I've had a quite a few times in my life where I was speeding and saw the lights come on in the rear-view mirror, my actual response is to just slow down to the speed limit and get over to the far right lane if available but I keep driving. Reflecting back on it now I recall the cops often flying by me obviously going off elsewhere and only sometimes pulling me over, I'm sure it's more so the former so to me I guess it just makes sense just to keep driving and wait to see if he actually makes his presence know to me which is usually obvious when the lanes next to you are open and he remains behind you with his lights on  ;), even then I've had that happen before and pulled over and it turned out the cop was just trying to get to the off ramp.

I think it is the procedure and demeanor one takes which helps one get a warning over a fine and I suppose pulling over early like that would help to some extent because it makes the cops job easier and may put him at a bit more ease like the other stuff I mentioned which helps as well, engine off, window down, hands on wheel.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »
I think it is the procedure and demeanor one takes which helps one get a warning over a fine and I suppose pulling over early like that would help to some extent because it makes the cops job easier and may put him at a bit more ease like the other stuff I mentioned which helps as well, engine off, window down, hands on wheel.

Yup - same idea. It never helps your chances to get off with a warning if you draw suspicion when they approach or treat them like they're stupid. It's just another way of acknowledging that you are cooperative. Zimmerman also does a good job of parking in the far right of the shoulder - giving the patrol officer room to safely approach the car with oncoming traffic.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »
It is possible he was pulled over just because he was DWH, driving while Hispanic. This seemed to be common in the red states according to the media. I am sure the major civil rights groups are looking into this.

Site Meter
click
tracking