Author Topic: Nelson dismisses libel suit  (Read 8502 times)

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Nelson dismisses libel suit
« on: June 30, 2014, 12:12:26 PM »
Judge Dismisses Zimmerman's Lawsuit Against NBC

A Florida judge on Monday dismissed the defamation lawsuit filed by George Zimmerman against NBC and three reporters, saying the former neighborhood watch leader failed to show the network acted with malice.
Judge Debra Nelson said the malice standard was appropriate because Zimmerman became a public figure after he shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford in February 2012, generating a national conversation about race and self-defense laws.

Judge Nelson's order via Scribd.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Nelson dismisses libel suit
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:25:30 AM »
I hope that this will revive this forum a bit.  Theconservativetreehouse and Legalinsurrection have threads about Judge Nelson's decision but the comments seem to be predictable for those outlets.  By the way, I always have thought that Zimmerman has a better case against the State of Florida than NBC.  We should hear soon if Mr. Beasley will appeal.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 02:02:30 PM »
I hope that this will revive this forum a bit.  Theconservativetreehouse and Legalinsurrection have threads about Judge Nelson's decision but the comments seem to be predictable for those outlets.  By the way, I always have thought that Zimmerman has a better case against the State of Florida than NBC.  We should hear soon if Mr. Beasley will appeal.

I know what his case against NBC is, but what specifically would his case against the State of Florida be?

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:06:37 AM »
Malicious Prosecution (if there is such a crime in Florida).  That would include withholding evidence as charged in a currently active suit by a former Corey employee Kruidbos.  I thought that some of the evidence the prosecution tried to use, like "voice experts" whose testimony couldn't pass the laugh test, showed signs of their bad intentions but I don't think there are laws against doing that.  Perhaps they can charge a conspiracy of the State of Florida together with Crump's law firm.  We all know about multi-million dollar payouts from a state, in particular NY, for wrongly convicted defendants so why shouldn'tattempted incarceration without a case also be a cause for a state to pay up?

Site Meter
click
tracking